Sunday, August 19, 2012

The "Red Bubble": Driving on Okinawa

It has been a little over two weeks since we arrived in Okinawa.  As you can imagine there are a few challenges when moving across the world to a foreign country.  The language barrier makes things quite difficult and the three different written forms of the language don't help matters.  I have learned one kanji symbol.  I only have 1,999 to go!

Not reading Japanese presents a problem when driving.  I like reading street signs and, of course, when in a new area, the names of the businesses that I drive past. The kanji, katakana and hiragana (the three written forms) are lovely to look at, but it is infuriating to not be able to read. So, naturally, I want to look into all the businesses to discover the nature of the business.  This is difficult while driving.

I'll get back to the language barrier in another post.  For now, though, I'd like to tell you more about the driving:

First: I am now reduced to driving a 1liter car.  I'm one step above the Flintstones car and maybe on par when going up a steep hill.  I imagine that one day I might have to get out and push the "Red Bubble" up a hill.


This is my car, a Toyota Passo.  Despite the engine size I love my car.  I affectionately call it the "Red Bubble."  It has everything I need and believe it or not, excellent leg room. 



Second: It is a jungle out on those Okinawan roads.  I think it is because of the speed limit that there aren't many accidents.  On my normal route to the food store, football field, swimming pool, etc.  I drive a maximum speed of 40kph!  (That is 24.85mph.)

At first that speed seemed intolerable until I realized I have to drive like I'm zig zagging through a maze. The roads are not wide so if I drive down a two lane "highway" and some one is parked on the left and another is turning right (remember we are reverse here) then I have to thread the needle to get through.  Waiting is not an option because I'd never get anywhere as I'm apt to do the same maneuver in 20 feet and then again in about another 10 feet.  Doing that for 10 miles is exhausting!

Third: Moped and scooter lunatics.  While it emphatically states in the Japanese driver's manual that mopeds, scooters (and motorcycles...but they are rare) should not drive between cars, on the side of cars, etc.  Yet, while sitting at a red light any number of scooters are likely to come up along side you to get to the front of the line.  One day no less then five came upon me while I was at a red light. I felt like I was in a scene from the Mad Max movies.  When driving a 1 liter car the size of a Tonka truck, scooters become threatening.

I'm going to have to embrace island life.  I've learned that I'm not getting anywhere quickly so I have to give myself time and not stress about it.  The up side to driving here is that while the Japanese drivers have some habits that make me a little nuts they are exceedingly polite.  I won't have to worry about road rage on Okinawa..unless of course it is my own.





1 comment:

  1. Well, I love your car! Patrick is driving a tiny Peugeot these days in France that looks that small, if not smaller. A step-up from a SmartCar, but he can go fast and gets about 10liters in a tank. Why only 1? You must have to fill up everyday! Knowing you, you will do just fine. You always seems to adapt and to learn everything there is to know and take full advantage of your new surroundings. The photo in the heading...yours? Beautiful. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your adventures. And be glad that the mopeds just pass you at the lights. In France, on the Peripherique (Belt Pkwy) around Paris? The motorcycles make the white dotted line between the middle and passing lanes THEIR lane, and zooooom between cars with only inches on either side of them at an easy 60+miles per hour. Scares the bejeezus out of everyone and even me, and its usually someone else driving on that crazy road! I kinda like 25 mph on an island. Its like Bermuda!

    ReplyDelete